- » Cylinder Management
- » Equipment Decontamination
- » Hazardous Waste
- » High-Hazard Chemicals
- » Household Hazardous Waste
- » Hydro-Excavation
- » Incineration
- » Industrial Waste
- » Lab Chemical Services
- » Liquid Solidification
- » Low-Level Radioactive Waste
- » Reactive Chemicals
- » Remote Opening
- » Secure Brand Destruction
- » Solids Separation Waste
- » Specialized Packaging
- » Special Waste
- » Stabilization & Landfill
- » Transportation
- » Wet & Dry Vacuum Waste
Greenhouse Gas TrackerVeolia's proprietary tool to help manage your organization's carbon footprint
LTL Drum ExpressTransportation and disposal of less-than-truckload quantities of hazardous waste
Medical Waste DisposalCompliant medical waste treatment and disposal
Waste MinimizationExpert analysis to help minimize your waste generation and processing costs
- » Asbestos Abatement
- » Chemical Cleaning
- » Coker Jet Pump Replacement
- » Cold Cutting
- » CO2 Blasting
- » Chemical Degassing & Decontamination
- » Deslagging
- » Dredging
- » Hydro-Blasting & Ultra-High Pressure
- » Pre-Commissioning
- » Remediation
- » Solids Separation Cleaning
- » Surface Coating & Sandblasting
- » Tank Cleaning
- » Wet & Dry Vacuum Services
Audited FacilitiesStringent audit program focused on compliance for third-party disposal facilities
Capital ProjectsResources to help plan, schedule, manage and complete capital projects
INSITE™ Resource SolutionsOur team dedicated to providing comprehensive integrated waste solutions
Landfill ManagementExpert landfill services that exceed compliance and regulatory requirements
CIMS Online ServicesVeolia's system for hazardous waste customers
Onsite ServicesOnsite services to support all your integrated waste management needs
Program ManagementProven program to standardize EH&S processes
Training SeminarsBasic, advanced and refresher Hazmat training for your employees
Nuclear ServicesNuclear decontamination and asset recovery solutions
Low-Level Radioactive Waste
Dealing safely and effectively with low-level radioactive waste requires an extremely high level of specialized expertise, technology and capabilities. Veolia Environmental Services offers a broad range of services to companies with radioactive waste, equipment and components at our Alaron facility in Wampum, PA. The facility’s licensing allows for the processing, decontamination, storage, packaging and handling of radioactive material and equipment, and also includes allowances for outside companies to perform work with contaminated equipment within our facility.
Expert Low-Level Radioactive Waste and Onsite Services
Veolia’s trained field service personnel can identify and classify many types of common radioactive and mixed wastes. Our professionals are experienced in:
- Obtaining approvals for processing and disposing waste at our own facilities and at third-party sites that pass our strict audit program
- Packaging waste efficiently and cost effectively, in compliance with all EPA, DOT, state and waste acceptance criteria standards
- Completing manifests and shipping papers, as well as arranging all transportation to ensure safe arrival at the selected processing facilities
Veolia’s onsite professionals can help you manage all the challenges of handling your low-level radioactive wastes. Services include collecting low-level radioactive waste from labs and transferring it to storage rooms; packaging and labeling containers; tracking and keeping records of radioactive material in containers, including material stored for decay; conducting lab surveys; and coordinating waste shipments.
Our personnel can manage incoming package receipts in accordance with each generator’s procedures and surveys, as specified in the company’s radioactive materials license. Our experienced radioactive project managers can also provide training, performance audits, and procedure and program reviews to help ensure total compliance.
- Licensed facility access: storage, decontamination and testing services for companies without a licensed facility
- Dry active waste: ship paper, wood, plastic, protective clothing and soft trash to our facility for processing
- Metals: large components, such as turbine rotors and components, large tanks, structured steel and lead encased stainless steel casks
- Sludges and wet waste: manage off-site processing of liquid radioactive waste material
- Source recovery: consolidate sources prior to disposal, components disassembled to separate the source from lead shielding, recycle Americium
- Motor and pump refurbishment: for any size equipment, both safety and non-safety items
- Transportation: standard 20' and 40' containers, specialty containers, switching station services, rail or truck shipments
- Spent fuel shipping: rail and truck access, any size canisters
- Machine shop with “N” stamp welding and fabrication: perform work under our license in our machine shop with your own machinist
- Storage: licensed to store radioactive materials
- Coatings and painting: nuclear Service Level 1 coating
Radioactive Wastes Managed
- Radioactive compounds (e.g., uranium acetate, thorium nitrate)
- Dry active waste
- Sealed sources
- Scintillation vials and fluid
- Lab pack quantities of radioactive and mixed wastes
- Metals – large components
- Sludge and wet waste
- Corrosive materials
- Aqueous liquids
- Biological waste
- Contaminated lead, metals, and equipment
- Manufacturer returns
A broad range of services are offered, which include allowing your NRC-licensed company to perform work with contaminated equipment at Veolia’s Alaron facility. All services to help safely handle, transport, decontaminate or store low-level radioactive waste can be customized to fit your company’s unique needs.
Veolia Environmental Services maintains a proven record of compliance with health, safety and environmental regulations.
Veolia helps you:
- Track your organization’s regulatory compliance via our Customer Information Management Solutions (CIMS)
- Ensure that the handling, transport, recycling, reuse and disposal of all waste products meets state and federal regulations
- Protect against liability
Low-level radiation compliance:
- Veolia will respond in accordance with all appropriate federal agency requirements and recognizes that each state may have additional regulations, procedures and requirements.
- We will assist in obtaining all necessary permits and coordinate approvals with the appropriate regulatory agencies.
- Our technicians are trained beyond federal and state requirements to assure compliance with all phases of hazardous materials handling and management.
- The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission licenses all facilities that process radioactive waste under the Atomic Energy Act.
- Every Emergency Response employee is enrolled in a Radiological Monitoring Program to ensure their own safety on the job and the safety of others.
Alaron Facility, Wampum PA
The facility, located 40 miles north of Pittsburgh, includes 26 acres and has over 150,000 square feet of indoor processing areas. Alaron's NRC Licenses allows for the processing, decontamination, storage, packaging, and handling of radioactive material and equipment.
For more information about the Alaron Corporation, a subsidiary of Veolia, visit the Alaron website.